Sunday, August 9, 2009

7-string headstock


Today, I've been working on the aluminium plated headstock of my 7-string project. Since I modified the Ibanez copy design of the headstock by making it narrower, I decided to reinforce and rigidify it with aluminium - like the front of the guitar. I was not sure about the all thing and really not about the black tuners on the alu plate but I do like the result. Will make the trussrod cover out of alu too, and will glue the alu plate on the wood, but I don't know what kind of glue I should use.
Also started to file the body in shape but I should cut soon the neck socket - it's the main challenge, if I make a mistake I can throw what I did so far and start again from zero. But I've been reading some good things about glued birchwood for guitars that make me thing that I made the right choice.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I like the black tuners. Chrome on aluminium doesn't work well (I imagine that chrome was the alternative).

    You talked about engravings earlier. Are you going to engrave the aluminium plate on the headstock as well? That'd look really sophisticated with engravings that matched those on the pickguard.

    /Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't make my mind yet about engraving, but I'd probably start with the headstock...

    ReplyDelete

gUitarREN's facebook

gUitarREN on Facebook