Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ikea birch wood butcher block, an ur-telecaster...


Here it is! I hinted at it last week, and due to the generosity of a benefactor (a little bit surprise to be asked for her humble kitchen appliance), I managed to put my hands on a second hand (with vintage patina) Ikea butcher block (out of production) made of glued birch cubes (I still don't know why birch is not a common tonewood for electric guitars, when it is used for its resonance for drums and speaker cabinets...), with the perfect dimensions to cut a telecaster out of it, Zachary style! 

Now I used the sitar bridge on the Doppelcaster so it would be a more standard project (also I have a lot of tele gear leftovers from my previous projects) though with a slightly different design (time to try the double lower horn) and the new mini-humbucker I bought lately in neck position. Also I don't know if I will use my Micro-Frets neck with its shorter scale or get a tele neck, or even a baritone mod one... 


2 comments:

  1. Have you seen this version of a similar idea...

    http://www.at-the-creamery.co.uk/custom-guitars/002-the-butchers-block-handcrafted-electric-guitar.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I know this one - but Zachary made the first one...

    the Creamery one has beautiful wood but the pickguard is too big - for mine I consider a tele junior style alu pickguard, like on the doppelcaster...

    ReplyDelete

gUitarREN's facebook

gUitarREN on Facebook